Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kamryn's Home Birth

There were a lot of different reasons I decided to go with a home birth with a certified midwife this time around.  I was really unhappy with the way things went when I had Carly.  I got my beautiful little girl out of the experience but I had anticipated this wonderful experience when I would get to welcome my precious baby girl into this world.  I guess I kind of pictured my own little fairy tale.  Carly's birth wasn't as traumatic as some other stories I have listened to, but it was leaning more towards being a horror story than a fairy tale.  Another reason I decided to go with the home birth is that we live in the mountains about an hour away from the nearest hospital or birthing center... and Kamryn's due date was in the middle of December.  I was really worried about the driving conditions (it snows here) and having to rush to the hospital while in labor.  As it turns out, the day before Kamryn was born we had a bad snow storm and the freeway was closed the day before and the day she was born.  Amazing, huh?  My labor and her birth turned out to be the fairy tale I was looking for.  It was wonderful.  Next time around there will only be one minor thing I will do differently (as far as preparing goes) , but if we have another "no risk" pregnancy I plan on another home birth.  Here are some pictures from that wonderful day.
Here is Carly swimming in the birthing tub before I got in.  She thought it was pretty cool.



Carly watching me have contractions.   My best friend, Sarah, was there to take her out of the room if it was too much for her, but she did really good and hung out with me throughout my labor.

Laboring in the birthing tub... the best invention ever!!

Here was just before Kamryn was born.  Kamryn was 8 lbs 13 oz and I got her out in two pushes.  Carly was 7lbs 10 oz and the Dr. had to pull her out with the vacuum.  No thank you for giving birth laying on my back, not going to do that again.  And yes, Carly was there the whole time and handled it extremely well.

We waited to find out what we were having but I thought for sure I was having a boy, so I was pretty surprised to see that I had another little princess.  


Kamryn had a hard time breathing and getting the fluid out of her lungs right after she was born, so here is my midwife giving her some oxygen.  



Mommy and baby about an hour later.  Not the most flattering picture, but hey I just gave birth!



No comments:

Post a Comment